Has the Lord placed a devotional on your heart that you would like to share with other standers? Submit it by clicking here.
While the angel who was speaking to me was leaving, another angel came to meet him and said to him: “Run, tell that young man, ‘Jerusalem will be a city without walls because of the great number of people and animals in it. And I myself will be a wall of fire around it,’ declares the Lord, ‘and I will be its glory within.’” Zechariah 2:3-5
In Zechariah 2:5, the Bible says that God will be a Wall of Fire around his people. As I meditate on this, I think of being surrounded by a thick, dense firefall (think waterfall but of fire instead of water). Charlyne regularly talks about praying for just such a Wall of Fire around your family (and wayward spouse) to keep the enemy away from you. If you have ever spoken to a fire fighter, they will tell you should never attempt to go through the fire unless you are wearing proper protection. So, by praying a Wall of Fire around your family, you can be confident the enemy won’t be able to get close to them, because God will not provide the enemy protection to get through.
In following her example, I pray for this in my prayer time. On one such occasion, I misspoke as I was praying and said the word Firewall. Now to many this might not be of any consequence, but I work in the field of Software Development. This instantly made me think about a network/internet Firewall. A pretty good layman’s terms definition for Firewall is: a network security system that monitors and controls the incoming and outgoing network traffic based on predetermined security rules. Or to think about it another way, a Firewall is a door between two hallways that people are trying to pass through and the door has a list of rules for the flow of traffic between the two halls. The rules can be as wide or narrow as desired (ALLOW ALL traffic; DENY ALL traffic) or as specific as desired (ALLOW only people age 40-45, wearing black shoes, and named Smith to pass through). So as this word reversal has me thinking about my real world experience with a Firewall, God provided me a bit of a revelation.
In Job chapter 1, Satan comes to God and God mentions His servant Job.Job 1:8-11
Satan’s reply basically says that God has put “a Firewall around Job with a DENY ALL traffic rule.” Job 1:12
So God decides to allow Satan to test Job by “changing the DENY ALL rule to be a specific DENY rule.” Job 1:22
Job’s faith and conviction prevailed after Satan was given permission to bring on the attack. If you continue to read through chapter 2, God gives Satan an even more lenient “DENY rule,” but still Job does not falter. This is the kind of man I strive to become.
Thinking further about how Charlyne teaches that forgetting to pray for the Armor of God to protect us leaves us open to the enemy’s attacks. I started to wonder if I may have an option to protect and DENY the enemy from having success in my fight for marriage restoration. Could I perhaps have been leaving my ‘Firewall’ completely wide open with no rules to DENY traffic? With that in mind, I started pondering about how I might incorporate this Firewall concept into my prayer. Here is the prayer that I have currently started praying daily:
God, I ask You to be like a Firewall between my family and the enemy, just like You talk about in Zechariah 2:5.
– (DENY rule) I pray Lord that You would tell Satan that he is not allowed to cause my wife and I to get divorced, even through man’s court system.Matthew 19:4-6
– (DENY rule) I pray Lord that you would tell him that he may not introduce another man into my wife’s life. Lord that any man who might find my wife interesting…Lord that You would provide a woman for that man that is so perfect for him that he will not even give my wife a second glance. Proverbs 27:7
– (DENY rule) Lord, Satan has tried to convince my wife that she needs to take our children out of their current school and move them to a new school. But Lord I pray that you would step in and fight for me like in Exodus 14:14 or for King Hezekiah in 2 Kings 19 so that my wife would not even bring the conversation to me.
– Lord I am sure there are so many other rules that I can’t even think or fathom, but are needed to protect me, so please Lord, do not leave me unprotected due to my lack of knowledge and add in all the other DENY rules I have not covered.
– But in all this Lord, I know that Your ways and Your thoughts are so much higher than mine. If any of these specific rules do not match up with Your will for my restoration struggle/battle, I submit to Your better plan.
As men, God has given us the enormous privilege and responsibility as the Priest of our Household. That is a designation given to us by God, and it cannot be rescinded by man’s law declaring you divorced. As the man of your household, you STILL have the authority of Priest. Satan tells you that he has control of your spouse, but don’t let him fool you. Declare to him your position of Priest of your Household and tell him that you give all authority to Jesus. And don’t leave your Firewall wide open with an ‘ALLOW ALL traffic rule,’ ask God to be Your line of defense such that every attack from the enemy must be presented to God and He must ALLOW or DENY each request.
Press on to victory,
Zak in Pennsylvania